FIN 215 Unit 3

Self Directed Project 3

I started my research for this project with the Tony Ianzelo and Andy Thomson 1976 film about David Blackwood. The film was very interesting and informative. It also somehow lead me to John Brunsdon. There is nothing more sad than finding someone whose work you are moved by only to discover that they died six years ago!

Both of these artists inspired the self-directed copper plate that I am naming Mustard Fields. I worked my plate first with Big Red to get my line etch.

Big Red with beginning of line etch
First test after twenty minute line etch
Copper Plate after Zeamazing aquatint spray. I think I got a 50/50 blend.
After using the stop out on the cloud I dipped the plate for five minutes.

I was in a hurry to dip the plate a second time before having to leave the studio, as a result I forgot to take a photo of the first five minute Stopout dip of just the cloud.

Second Stopout. The plate before its second five minute dip in the acid

After dipping the plate for ten minutes I carved out more flowers in the foreground as well as some of the grass in the mid-ground field. I also used stop out in the clouds and sky, and middle grass line.

Again, I was in a hurry to dip before leaving the studio and failed to get a photo of the plate before its final five minute dip, in which more flowers were carved and the field just below the sky was covered with Stop Out.

Fouth Stopout. You can see in this photo that I continued to carve out various flowers with each five minute dip.

This is a photo of my plate after three separate five minute dips. It is worked again with more Stop Out in the sky, more carving of foreground flowers, as well as a mid-ground grass line. I also added some soft carved lines to separate the dirt road up into the fields. I dipped the plate one final time for five minutes.

Fourth test print in studio using black cranfield ink , with a thin gray viscosity colour over the black line work

Print 1/100 is done on 140lbs wet Stonehenge paper. It has black, blue, and yellow Cranfield Ink.

This is plate 1/100. I used three A la Poupee colours as well as Chin Cole.

Print 2/100 is done on 140lbs BeeCompany paper. It is made with black, blue, and yellow Cranfield Ink as well as specialty yellow paper.

Print 2/100 , I used both methods of, A la Poupee and Chin Cole to make this print.

Print 3/100 is done on moist, specialty yellow paper with dry, specialty brown paper added for the Chin Cole.

Print 3/100. This print is done on yellow specialtiy paper and has both , A la Poupee and Chin Cole.

Print 4/100 is done on dry massa paper with the black and yellow Cranfireld Ink.

Print 4/100. This print is done on dry massa paper , with the A la Poupee printing process.

Print 5/100 is done on wet, 140lbs BeeCompany paper with black, blue, and yellow Cranfield Ink.

Print 5/100. This last print is the A la Poupee method.

I have chosen to make this a series of one hundred because I think I have only begun to touch upon what I can accomplish with this plate. I will continue to explore A la Poupee, Chin Cole, as well as trying Viscosity. I look forward to more time with the printing process involving copper plates as well as other surfaces.